This relationship between vehicle weight and suspension is where Old Man Emu gets its name - the emu is a large Australian flightless bird, when it runs, its powerful legs absorb most of the impact, allowing it to move over all types of terrain while its body remains virtually motionless. This is what Old Man Emu strives to achieve with its range of fully integrated 4x4 shocks and suspension systems. Old Man Emu suspension systems include carefully matched spring and shock combinations engineered to improve vehicle ride, handling and control under various loads.
A single suspension lift kit system designed to suit a multitude of users simply isn't practical, as each user's preferences will dictate how the vehicle is outfitted and used. Despite these differences, most aftermarket 4x4 suspension systems are only available in a single configuration, with suspension lift height often being your only option.
At OME, instead of merely offering a suspension lift kit that's little more than a compilation of parts aimed at raising your truck's height, we offer a range of tuned and matched integrated systems, each offering varying degrees of comfort, load carrying capability & control characteristics. The components are designed by ARB with an unrelenting, no compromise approach.
Shock absorbers and springs for each new vehicle start off as prototypes, and are tested and modified in a variety of terrains and with varying loads. These trials and modifications can take weeks of testing in order to ensure the best possible combination for each application.
We test and modify, test and modify and continue to do so for as long as it takes to ensure each shock and spring combination is ideally suited to a vehicle, its varying weights, the driver's suspension lift requirements and the terrain it'll encounter.
NITROCHARGER SPORT SHOCK ABSORBERS
Old Man Emu suspension systems have always focused on ride quality rather than ride height and this new line of shock absorbers includes some of the latest shock valving technology achieving a whole new level of ride quality.
Most dual and monotube shocks typically feature a two-stage valving process, the new OME NitroCharger Sport features a triple-stage valving process rivaled only by a remote canister adjustable shock. We’ve stacked it into the most durable shock body and adjusted it by load capacity for you. So, rather than offering a single adjustable shock, the OME engineers have done all of the testing and tuning adjustments for you. You get to choose from a selection of shock absorbers for your application based on your load-carrying configuration, guaranteeing an immediate and ideal ride without any costly fine-tuning required post-installation.
The monotube style main piston valving improves transition and direction changes while the extra base valving provides more fine-tuning for comfort and control. So, the new OME NitroCharger Sport feels like a monotube without the vulnerability or the high price tag.
- Engineered for both on road and off road drivability
- Durability proven under extensive laboratory and real life testing, supported by scientific data logging
- Instantaneously adapts to the terrain
- The most finely tuned shock absorber on the market, with all valving work carried out in Australia by OME’s ride control engineers
- Dramatically improved low and high speed control for increased comfort and control over all road surfaces
- Fully compatible with OME’s extensive line of springs, bushings and hardware for a complete integrated suspension system
- 3 year, 35,000 mile warranty
- Made in Australia
SHOCK ABSORBERS - NITROCHARGER
Australia's unique driving conditions call for a different approach to shock absorber design. Invariably, vehicles are heavily loaded, fitted with accessories and driven on harsh Outback roads for prolonged periods.
When developing shock absorbers, Old Man Emu takes all these factors into consideration. This is reflected in the superb structural integrity of Nitrocharger shocks, along with the fact they are properly valved for the conditions they will be required to work under.
This experience in setting the most appropriate valving is what really sets the Nitrocharger apart from its competitors. OME engineers have extensive knowledge in this field as they specialize in nothing else but 4WD suspension systems. When developing a shock absorber, consideration is given to both original equipment and OME springs. In many cases, several shock absorber applications will be listed for one vehicle to ensure the proper match regardless of spring selection, installed accessories or load carrying requirements.
While OME Nitrochargers will improve overall ride performance when fitted with standard springs, more substantial benefits can be achieved when fitted in conjunction with OME springs. Improved ride, load carrying characteristics, and wheel travel are all benefits of such a combination.
Used by 4 wheelers throughout the world, OME Nitrochargers set the standard in ride comfort over any terrain and simply outperform the competition.
On the Toyota LandCruiser 80 & 100 Series, the rear shocks are mounted forward of the axle. As a result, they have a tendency to get peppered by stones thrown up from the front tires. OME's solution to the problem can be found in either a shock mounted stone guard or a lower rear control arm mounted stone flap (pictured).
Everything you feel in your vehicle is controlled by shock absorber valving. OME's 30hp shock dyno helps us simulate the characteristics of your vehicle and develop shock absorber valving to control it.
1. Tough urethane bushes for extended life
2. Unique triple lip check valve seal offers excellent gas & oil retention
3. The eccentric sliding intake valve increases valving response time and reduces operating noise
4. The balanced, 1.4", Teflon banded rebound piston delivers outstanding valve control resulting in better ride and handling. The equalized pressure system is delivered through multi-stage valving, which eliminates oil starvation at high speed and greatly reduces heat and pressure build up. This subsequently produces a more durable shock absorber with improved life expectancy
5. Super strong 0.71" hard chromed piston rod
6. Low pressure Nitrogen gas for optimum performance
7. Tough twin tube design with super strong 0.06" thick reserve tube protects vital internal components
8. A multi-stage compression valve incorporates a wider range of valve performance resulting in improved vehicle control and ride suppleness
9. Supplementary top & bottom welds give added strength and safety
SHOCK ABSORBERS - LTR
Four wheel drive owners who regularly operated their vehicles in harsh and remote conditions soon recognized the benefits of LTRs, and OME commenced a program to develop these extreme performance shock absorbers for a number of vehicle models.
A key design characteristic of the LTR is the total separation of the gas and oil within the remote canister by way of a floating piston. This prevents the gas mixing with the oil at high temperatures, which significantly reduces aeration of the oil and so prevents shock absorber fade during high shaft speeds. This, coupled with a lower operating temperature resulting from approximately 75% greater oil volume than a conventional shock absorber, provides exceptional control in the harshest of environments.
An LTR can be gassed between 40 and 100psi, allowing a vehicle's ride firmness to be adjusted for personal preferences. Like all OME shock absorbers, LTRs benefit from vehicle specific valving which is pre set by OME's in house ride control engineers.
Whether you're carrying heavy loads over rough roads, traveling at high speeds over corrugations, or just want the best shock absorbers available, OME LTRs are the right choice.
1. Tough, stainless steel braided teflon hose.
2. A remote mounted canister allows for greater oil volume and the ability to adjust gas pressures.
3. The piston separates the gas and the oil preventing the gas from aerating the oil - a major cause of shock absorber fade.
4. Dual O-ring canister alloy end cap for superior sealing and gas retention.
Combine this with punishing off road conditions, and the limitations of standard springs soon become apparent.
Old Man Emu designs a range of coil springs for each vehicle, enabling the installer to match the most appropriate springs to the intended application. While ride height increases are attained, emphasis is placed on ride control improvements. Further fine tuning is achieved when the springs are matched to a corresponding set of Old Man Emu shock absorbers, delivering a fully integrated system, designed specifically to suit your vehicle. A 4WD equipped with this combination will exhibit better towing and load carrying characteristics, improved wheel travel, and will ride and handle better over any road surface.
- Springs are formed on precision mandrels
- Scragging before and after shot peening to prevent sagging
- Constant and variable rate coils available for multiple applications
- Coil spring end configurations designed to exact specifications guaranteeing perfect fit to your vehicle
- Durable powder coat finish
Numerous spring options are available to suit a multitude of applications, allowing you to set your vehicle up for recreational or commercial purposes. Feature packed, a set of Emu Dakar leaf springs matched to a set of Old Man Emu shocks will deliver vastly improved ride, handling and load carrying capability.
- Draw Tapered & Diamond Cut Leaves: Ensure the load is progressively distributed over a larger surface area, reducing the high stresses that develop at leaf ends. This provides increased ride quality and protection against leaf breakage, significantly increasing the spring life.
- Bolt Clamps & Liners: The leaf clamps are bolted to allow installation of anti squeak nylon liners.
- Fully Scragged & Load Tested: Scragging ensures the spring takes a permanent 'set' which reduces the risk of sagging. Load testing ensures the spring meets the required specification.
- Graphite Coating: To further reduce the friction between the spring leaves & friction pads.
- Military Wrap: Designed to provide added safety.
- Anti Friction Pads: Regreasable nylon interleaf liners reduce friction at the leaf tips where the load is the greatest.
- Flat Axle Seat Area: Allows a positive, safe axle mount reducing spring stress & increasing spring life.
- Shot Peening: The tension side of all leaves is shot peened to reduce spring stress. This process can double the life of a spring.
- Two-stage Leaf Pack: Featured on most rear springs for optimum comfort. When unladen the vehicle is largely riding on the primary stage, with the secondary stage providing additional support when a heavy load is added.
They're designed and set for optimum ride performance, while maintaining maximum wheel travel crucial to off road action. Our torsion bars work best when OME coil or leaf springs are fitted to the rear of your vehicle, with bars and springs then carefully matched to our premium range of Nitrocharger shock absorbers. Together they'll transform your vehicle's suspension performance.
- Manufactured from premium grade spring steel with a resilient powder coat to protect against corrosion
- Precision drawn, dropped forged ends for optimal strength and integrity
- Pressure rolled splines for precise fitment and increased spline durability
- Hardened and tempered to exact specifications for improved performance
- Preset and hardened to prevent sagging and increase life cycle
However, the grease will dissipate over time, thereby necessitating regreasing, and standard shackles make this task a time consuming process. Ingenious OME greasable shackles and pins allow the greasing of bushes without the hassle of removing the springs. Greasing OME shackles takes no more than five minutes and only requires a grease gun and a molybdenum based grease.
- Unique, easy bolt together assembly eliminates 'out of angle shackle pin to side plate' problems commonly associated with press fit assemblies
- Each pin has two grease outlet holes to guarantee maximum grease coverage between the shackle pin and the spring bush
- Heat treated pins ensure long pin life under heavy loads and off road conditions
- Side plates are zinc plated for protection against corrosion
Designed to reduce the effect of wheel vibration and improve the feel, handling and control of the vehicle, OME's steering stabilizers will also reduce the aggressive rotation of the steering wheel over rough roads without affecting steering wheel return.
- 9 Stage Coil Spring Valving: for optimum performance
- 0.6" Piston Rod: stronger than the original
- 1.4" Piston & Bore: increased oil volume
- Twin Tube Design: protects the internal components against stone damage
- Multi Lip Seal: prevents oil loss
- Original Mounts: for ease of installation original stabilizer mounts are used where appropriate
BUSHES AND HARDWARE
OME offers a variety of urethane bush kits for shock absorbers, leaf springs, panhard rods, control arms and sway bars. Unique features like our exclusive splined leaf spring bushes and caster correction kits ensure proper performance.
Caster correction bushes: Symptoms of incorrect caster are vehicle wander and a vague steering feel. OME's offset correction bushes permanently cure the problem, and their unique design will ensure durability under the harshest conditions.
OME splined bushes are manufactured from only the highest quality raw materials, and are precision molded in captive moulds to ensure exact tolerances.
DISTRIBUTION AND SERVICE
These installers regularly receive training on product selection and installation, ensuring they are kept fully up to date with technical information associated with Old Man Emu's extensive product line. Furthermore, they are required to have access to a fully equipped workshop with properly trained and qualified personnel.
Backed by a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty, Old Man Emu delivers aftersales service that is unmatched by any other suspension company.
Fitting of an OME strut being carried out by a qualified suspension specialist
Following the fitting of Old Man Emu suspension, a wheel alignment check is performed to ensure front end specifications are within factory tolerances.
Following suspension fitting, the vehicle's brake system is checked (using a G force meter) to ensure that brake performance is not adversely affected as a consequence of a change in vehicle ride height.